We received a really nice Google Cardboard device in the mail last week from a company in China called Showbox who produce custom printed Google Cardboard for a lot of companies. The device shown in the video is for Toyota to promote their TOYOTA VR app in Germany.
We have been getting quite a few of these lately in the mail for review (some nice and some not so nice) and so I thought it would be good to do a quick video to discuss some of the quality features to consider when ordering custom cardboard for your company’s VR initiates.
Some Important Features to Look for:
- Nice glossy printing and many printable areas that include branding, QR codes and instructions.
- Sturdy cardboard. These devices take a beating from use, wear and tear, so good, thick cardboard is always a bonus.
- Strong velcro that doesn’t rip off after a few uses.
- High quality lenses that are clear, not blurry and don’t fish eye.
- Use dark or black colors for the inside of the device as well as the viewer area that sets on your face.
- Additional features such as plastic or rubber that prevents the phone from sliding around.
- Extra velcro on the side of the device is a nice addition in case the user wants to attach a head strap.
- Make sure the button that activates the touch screen is smooth, makes solid contact with the screen and springs back into place when pressed.
Quality and Clarity Are Key
I realize that because of all the new, advanced VR headsets coming out this year, this might seem like a novel topic to discuss at this point, but we have to remember that there are still quite a few people who have yet to experience VR and early adoption is still in it’s early phase.
By insuring that your company’s first VR promotion provides the customer with a high quality headset, it will be seen as an exciting memory that people will cherish and share, as opposed to a poor quality experience perceived as a passing fad, which can often be the result of a low quality headset.
We are also in the early phase of a huge tech innovation, and so I think that Google Cardboards will be collectable at some point in the future, just like the old Apples, Commodores and Ataris. Make sure your customers have a high quality device to collect and trade in the future.
I hope you find this review useful and if you have any thoughts on the topic of ordering custom Google Cardboard devices, please let me know.
If you are interested in checking out more products from Showbox, click here to view their Alibaba shop.