We just received a press release from the folks from Foreign VR announcing their new game Ruckus Ridge. The game is what they are calling “the first local multiplayer party game for HTC Vive and the Oculus Rift” and will be launched shortly after the release of the Rift in early 2016.
Ruckus Ridge features an interesting, multiplayer gaming experience which supports multiple screens and devices. Players can create their own game modes and then take turns using the VR headset, while couch players control characters in the virtual world using traditional controllers or smartphones via a downloadable gamepad app. This allows the players to then view the action from a top-down perspective via a TV or computer screen.
The basic gameplay is as follows:
- 1 vs. 3 couch multiplayer gameplay.
- Separate displays pits Oculus against up to 3 friends on the couch.
- Oculus Player is placed in the battle arena, while the Couch Players see a top-down view of the action.
- A frantic race against time to tag the Oculus player before being discovered.
- Oculus player must figure out which boxes are players, while Couch Players attempt to accomplish various goals while blending in with a crowd of NPCs.
- Couch players compete or co-operate to achieve victory.
About Foreign VR
Foreign VR is an indie virtual reality game company based in Palo Alto, CA, and is run by Jacob Haigh, Sacha Reihani & Thomas Angelopoulos. They create games, apps, design consulting, and VR experiences.